Friday, December 9, 2011

Independent vs. Prideful

"I'm an independent woman," said Sheila.  As she was ending an argument with her boyfriend of two years. "I go to school, take care of my two kids, work full time, and nobody is helping me. I was doing that before you and I will continue to do it after you; because I'M INDEPENDENT."

Independence is something that should be celebrated. Being independent means that you've mastered the ability to stand on your own, and can move forward in life proudly without having total reliance on someone or something else to support you.
Independence is NOT something that is to be used to isolate you from others, or prevent you from receiving their support or help.
The most independent people have been able to orchestrate teams and bring people in their lives to assist and help them get ahead.

Being prideful is an attitude that leads people to boast about what they do, have done, and are capable of. A prideful person may not acknowledge that they sill need support and help from others; while an independent person appreciates the support and help from others that has helped them get to where they are.

Be proud of your accomplishments and celebrate how far you've come, but don't allow these things to get in the way of where you're trying to go.

"Well baby I didn't want to argue with you. I thought we could possibly help each other, and also spend the rest of our lives together. But I see you don't want that." James walked out of the restaurant and left Sheila there alone.
"Oh no! What have I done? I wanted him to marry me....but...." and so Sheila cried wishing James would come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Comment